• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Ranking Rankin…and Bass

Spoiler alert: this story contains spoilers for Rankin/Bass Holiday productions.
Artist+Ava+Orlando+depicts+author+Sofia+Orlando+alongside+multiple+Rankin%2FBass+characters.+
Ava Orlando
Artist Ava Orlando depicts author Sofia Orlando alongside multiple Rankin/Bass characters.

It’s that festive time of year again, when stockings are hung by the chimney with care and when cookies are left out for the jolly old fellow we call Santa Claus. However, Christmas isn’t just about the cookies, gifts, and people who come down your chimney at night, it’s also about great cinematography. 

When thinking of Christmas classics, obviously films like “Elf” and “Home Alone” come to mind. However, I often think of the oddly impactful and equally disturbing (in some cases) Rankin/Bass films that still manage to grace T.V. screens today. 

Founded in 1960, Rankin/Bass Productions released seasonal films that revolved around now iconic characters featured within modern-day pop culture. Their films were best known for their stop-motion animation style, however the studio also managed to release a few traditionally animated features. 

Although the studio also released films for Easter and Halloween, they are most well known for their 18 Christmas specials that are cherished by the hearts of many fans today. 

I am an avid fan of most of these films, they’re truly one of my favorite aspects of Christmas. However, I can acknowledge that a majority of these films are not the greatest story wise, considering their less than normal plots and traumatizing themes.

But despite that, I have managed to view all 18 of their Christmas specials and rank them accordingly based on plot and overall enjoyment going from worst to best. 

18) “Frosty’s Winter Wonderland” 

To say this film is bad is an understatement, in fact this film is awful. 

This sad excuse of a sequel to the original “Frosty the Snowman” focuses on the titular character of Frosty, who has returned from the North Pole after going there in the previous film. Instead of just remaking the first movie but with even more irritating characters, this film goes in an even more predictable direction- Frosty needs a girlfriend. 

The film is almost completely unnecessary to the Frosty cinematic universe. I say almost because the unfortunate characters presented in the film appear again in future Rankin/Bass films. 

Despite that, the plot of this film is off the walls, yet that is usually the norm for Rankin/Bass films. Before Crystal, or Mrs. Frosty, is conceived, Frosty is in a conflict with Jack Frost over the magic hat that brought him to life, because God forbid a snowman can be sentient. However, this conflict doesn’t last long because the movie decides that giving Frosty a love interest to fill the void is more important.

Would I recommend this film? Unless you are a die-hard Frosty fan, then I wouldn’t touch it with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole. 

17) “Twas the Night Before Christmas” 

For the first and only time on this list, Rankin/Bass Productions makes an attempt to tell the timeless tale of “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” And boy, was it less than exciting. 

Rankin/Bass begins the film by trying to tell the story of which the movie is based on, however that plotline is quickly lost as the audience is introduced to “mousicatures”(caricatures of people as mice) of the family the story is following. 

The plot then develops into this odd story of how one of mice doesn’t believe in Santa and then makes it the entire town’s problem, so the film is no longer an effective version of “Twas the Night Before Christmas.”

And while the plot is confusingly bad, the songs aren’t much better. 

Each of the songs try their very best to move the story along and explain what’s happening in a whimsical way, however none of their attempts work. Instead, the audience is stuck with earworms that are bound to haunt them everytime they see a mouse scatter by. 

This is definitely not a film that I would put on my Christmas wish list, and it unfortunately will never have the pleasure of gracing my T.V screen ever again. 

16) “The Stingiest Man in Town” 

As expected from a company that produced exclusively holiday content, it comes as no surprise that Rankin/Bass decided to adapt the timeless tale of “A Christmas Carol.” But unfortunately, this one desecrates all over Dickens’ classic. 

The movie is narrated by B.A.H Humbug, who is supposed to be some sort of Jiminy Cricket type figure during the story, however it doesn’t work and he’s just an annoying bug providing unwanted commentary. 

The story continues as a usual adaptation of “A Christmas Carol,” but it is bombarded with dragging songs that don’t do anything for the story other than make it longer than it needs to be. My least favorite songs within this film would have to be “I Wear a Chain” and “Yes, There is a Santa Claus,” since both are extremely unnecessary and don’t enhance the story in any way, especially the latter. 

While the songs are bad, the animation is definitely worse. It’s certainly a step up from “Twas the Night Before Christmas,” but none of the characters look cohesive or are drawn in the same style. This is evident within the character Belle, Scrooge’s love interest. While Scrooge looks like the usual poorly traditionally animated Rankin/Bass character, Belle looks as if she stepped out of a 1980’s anime. Of course, the audience understands that she is supposed to be beautiful, but animating her completely different from the rest of the characters was a poor choice on the studio’s part. 

I wouldn’t say I despise this film plot wise, however its sad excuse for a soundtrack and off-putting animation have definitely sealed its spot in the back of my movie shelf where it will probably never be picked up again.

15) “ Pinocchio’s Christmas” 

Straying away from traditional animation, “Pinocchio’s Christmas” is one of Rankin/Bass’ stop motion productions. And while Pinocchio may seem like the perfect character to use for stop motion, that is proven wrong in this film. 

I say that not because Pinocchio as a character is bad, but because the way Rankin/Bass adapted his story. 

This movie is supposed to happen somewhere in the middle of the actual story of “Pinocchio,” so the first problem that can be cited is that the audience may not know what relevance some of the characters hold. This isn’t too much of a problem because the movie eventually explains the puppet’s origins, however that information should have been presented at the beginning. 

For some reason, Christmas is just made a plot point in Pinocchio’s story because this will teach him to be good. And while it does that, the film would have worked better as just a regular adaptation of “Pinocchio” without Christmas being a forced plotline. 

I don’t have very many issues with this movie, but the glaring issue of Christmas just being shoved into the story because that’s what Rankin/Bass is known for truly is it’s downfall. And because of that, I unfortunately wouldn’t watch this film again unless I felt like seeing a puppet try to understand Christmas. 

14) “The Little Drummer Boy: Book II”

Yet another animated sequel of a beloved Christmas story has somehow weaseled its way onto this list.

Following directly after the events of the first movie, The little drummer boy Aaron has abandoned his previous thoughts of misanthropy after laying down some sick beats for the king of kings, Jesus Christ. The wise man Melchior soon enlists the help of Aaron to spread the word of Christ’s birth by ringing the silver bells. However, the Roman Empire has taken the silver bells for tax purposes, and now Aaron must try to get them back. 

Considering how moving and iconic the original film is, Book II just fails to compare and considering the film left off at a comfortable place, this just felt forced and unnecessary. Along with that, this film also seems to forget the ending of the original, considering Aaron was completely happy playing his drum for Jesus when the story ended. Now, though, Aaron feels as though he hasn’t done enough, thus his recruitment from Melchior. 

Although I do not like this movie very much, I did happen to enjoy the song “Money, Money, Money,” which is sung by the Roman soldiers as they try to explain commerce. It wasn’t a good song lyrically, but it’s catchy, so I have to give credit where it’s due. 

I probably wouldn’t recommend this film unless you’re really interested in what happens to Aaron and his animals after his purpose is fulfilled, but it’s definitely not the worst film on this list. 

13) “Frosty the Snowman” 

Although the original Frosty film is miles better than its sequel, this movie still is not one of my favorites. 

Somehow, this film has managed to become one of Rankin/Bass most beloved stories– and I can definitely see why; an innocent snowman goes on a wild adventure with a little girl to get to the north pole and madness ensues. 

Although this is considered a Christmas classic, It’s definitely not something that’s on my immediate watch list. 

There were certain aspects of this film that I did happen to enjoy, like the eccentric magician who’s on a quest to retrieve his magic hat from Frosty. This character provided most of the entertainment of this story, while Frosty just kind of fell behind. 

This movie just feels boring in comparison to the other films on this list, thus its lower ranking. However, it does have quite the presence in pop culture today so I do have to respect it in some way. 

“Frosty the Snowman” definitely is not a must watch in my opinion, However I would definitely recommend it over the previous films listed. 

12) “The Leprechaun’s Christmas Gold” 

This next Rankin/Bass production is filled to the brim with whimsy, and unfortunately that creative flare is its downfall. 

“The Leprechaun’s Christmas Gold” is a more unknown project that sort of doubles as a St. Patrick’s Day film, however that doesn’t automatically mean it’s bad. 

The story follows the Irish sailor Dinty Doyle, who has traveled to a remote Irish island to retrieve a Christmas tree for his ship. However, upon arrival, he is greeted by a crowd of leprechauns who reveal to him that he has just cut down the tree that keeps the dreaded banshee away. 

If that crazy information wasn’t enough, a good chunk of the film is about the lifestyle of the leprechauns rather than the challenge at hand aka getting rid of the banshee to save the Christmas gold. And to make this dysfunction even worse, the movie also manages to squeeze in a performance of the song “Christmas in Killarney” just for good measure. 

This film is all over the place, however its disorganization is charming in a way that feels satisfying. I probably wouldn’t recommend this movie unless you have an affinity for leprechauns, but if you’re looking to waste a half hour then this is definitely worth a watch. 

11) “Cricket on the Hearth” 

If you thought “The Leprechaun’s Christmas Gold” was weird, then prepare yourself for this poorly executed attempt at an animated retelling of another Charles Dickens classic.

“Cricket on the Hearth” is more of an unknown tale by Dickens and tells the story of a poor toymaker, his daughter, and Cricket Crocket as they try to navigate life after tragedy strikes. 

This movie feels like a fever dream with the insane plot points presented, including grief induced blindness, a fiancee who returns from the “dead,” and a cricket narrator. However I can’t accredit Rankin/Bass with these ideas as they come from Dickens’ twisted mind. But, the production company did manage to make this story even weirder. 

In lieu of abysmal animation, Rankin/Bass took the liberty of adding more tomfoolery to this already crazy story; a suggestive singing cat, sentient toys, and an underground club full of anthropomorphic animals. And, of course, the studio also created seven more songs to include within the story. However, said songs just make the film drag on for what seems like hours. 

Although this movie is laughably bad, I can’t truly hate it. I think the overall story is charming, even if it makes little to no sense. I also happened to enjoy the songs Rankin/Bass added, mainly “Through My Eyes” and “The First Christmas,” even if they serve no real purpose. 

With that said, “Cricket on the Hearth” is definitely an acquired taste for Christmas movie watchers, however it definitely is not the most unbearable Rankin/Bass film on this list.  

10) “The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus”  

If you are looking for probably one of the most ominous renditions of Santa Claus’ life, then this is the movie for you. 

This is just one of many interpretations of the life of Mr. Claus, and this one is probably my least favorite. The story is adapted from the L. Frank Baum novel of the same name and tries its best to make Christmas seem more fantastical, in the sense that fairies and woodland creatures are involved in Claus’ upbringing. 

Although this is not my favorite film, it certainly has grown on me over the years and I quite enjoyed seeing this different perspective on Santa Claus’ life. 

“The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus” attempts to incorporate elements of high fantasy into an otherwise holiday-centered story, and it’s actually pretty successful.  

The film’s premise is that Santa Claus is going to die if the Council of Immortals (the main system of government in the story) doesn’t come to a consensus on granting him immortality. This is a lot of information to take in considering it’s revealed within the first five minutes of the movie, however it isn’t really important until the end so it’s fine if the audience forgets.

Like most movies about the fat man with the long white beard, the story is basically one big backstory on Santa Claus, complete with elves, fairies, and battles with mythical figures who hate toys. Yes, Santa Claus has to go to war with toy haters, but that’s after he goes down to see the world and decides he wants to bring joy to the youth. 

Overall, I quite enjoyed this film upon rewatch and I feel that seeing this new perspective on Claus’ life helps to develop a new appreciation for the Christmas staple. 

9)  “Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey”

“Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey” is probably the saddest addition to this list, however its charm and touching story certainly offsets the doom and gloom. 

In this film, the titular character of Nestor is a young donkey who has been cursed with the plight of having long ears, however his curse is soon revealed to be a blessing in disguise. 

This film is nothing less than Rankin/Bass usual madness, however this one brings something refreshing to the table- parental death. 

Parental death is nothing new for Rankin/Bass films, however this one probably has to be the most traumatizing. Seeing a baby donkey cry over his dead mother who has since been covered in snow is not for the faint of heart. In fact, little Sofia Orlando sobbed so hard while watching this that her parents had to change the channel, and she couldn’t bring herself to watch the movie until very recently. 

But putting Nestor’s traumatic plot points aside, the film actually succeeds at telling a touching story. The rest of the film is pretty enjoyable; the audience joins Nestor on his journey to find his purpose, which is revealed to him by a cute yet creepy-looking cherub named Tilly. 

The movie takes a somewhat unexpected religious turn, since it is revealed that Nestor is supposed to bring Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem for Jesus’ birth. The turn makes the story better in my opinion, because Nestor’s ears are actually proven useful since they protect Mary and Joseph from a sandstorm. 

While the “ears being useful” plot could’ve been done differently and without religious intent, I quite enjoyed it, and the North Star turning out to be Nestor’s mom guiding him through this journey is so wonderful and moving. 

Nestor is one truly one of the more emotional movies on this list, however the emotion enhances its purpose and helps it to land in this well-deserving spot.

8) Rudolph’s Shiny New Year

Although there is a negative pattern with Rankin/Bass sequels on this list, “Rudolph’s Shiny New Year” is an exception. 

This film serves as a sequel to the first Rudolph film and follows the red-nosed reindeer as he tries to save the New Year as soon as he returns from saving Christmas. 

The premise of this film is certainly odd, however that’s what makes this film fun. Instead of helping Santa Claus deliver toys, Rudolph is now appointed to help Father Time (who has a shocking resemblance to Conan O’brien) as he needs to save the Baby New Year. 

Rudolph is accompanied by multiple figures he finds in the “Archipelago of Last Years,” including a caveman, a knight, and a colonial man who is NOT Ben Franklin. The characters go on a wild goose chase to find Baby New Year, however he has unfortunately been kidnapped by a giant vulture named Eon. 

Also, the soundtrack for “Rudolph’s Shiny New Year” is pretty good, with my personal favorites being “The Moving Finger Writes” and “What a Wonderful World We Live In.” I’ll admit, Rudolph does not have a very good singing voice, but luckily he isn’t singing in either of these songs so enjoyment will not be hindered. 

This movie is a truly wild ride from start to finish, and that’s what makes it enjoyable. This is a movie people can enjoy all season long, making this film a good fit at spot number eight.

7) “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July”

This is yet another sequel to the original “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” movie, however this is also a crossover sequel with “Frosty the Snowman.” 

The film includes the less than likable characters featured in “Frosty’s Winter Wonderland,” but they don’t ruin the story that badly. Frosty’s wife Crystal returns and is basically just there to say “Oh, Frosty!” whenever the line is applicable. I also consider her to be one of the villainous characters in the story because she is partly responsible for the Frosty family getting melted. 

Although Crystal is my preferred villain of the story, the character of Winterbolt is actually there to serve that role. I actually quite enjoyed Winterbolt’s character and think that his motives throughout the movie are valid and understandable to an extent. 

With the villain critiques out of the way, the plot of the movie was very well-thought out and entertaining. I love when a movie begins with some sort of a prologue, and “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July” contains one of the most interesting prologues I have ever seen. The film explains exactly why Rudolph has the red nose, and it turns out that it’s not some weird recessive gene. In fact, Rudolph was gifted his nose to use for good deeds, since apparently Santa Claus running into a bit of fog was premeditated by the gods. 

Anyway, the prologue sets up the main conflict of the film- Rudolph will use his nose for evil. This plotline kind of gets trampled by the more silly and entertaining portion of the film dedicated to the North Pole saving a Fourth of July circus from bankruptcy. 

Although this is one of the more all over the place movies, I enjoyed it more than I expected too. The plot kept itself moving, even if there were a few dull moments. Another aspect of the movie I enjoyed was the soundtrack, which was good considering it somehow managed to make a few songs about the Fourth of July and Christmas within the same film. My personal favorite would have to be “I See Rainbows,” which isn’t about any holiday in particular. Instead, it’s Santa Claus trying to soothe Mrs. Claus by reminiscing about their love while they’re trapped in a tornado; I promise it’s not as disturbing as you think. 

The movie’s pacing and creative plot have somehow managed to win me over, and this film is sure to be a pleasant surprise for any Christmas movie enjoyers. 

6) “ The First Christmas Snow” 

This film unfortunately lands in the upsetting category of Rankin/Bass classics, however that doesn’t hinder the actual plot of the film, unlike Nestor. 

The exposition for this story is where the tragedy starts, when a little shepherd boy named Lucas gets struck by lightning and goes blind from the shock. From there, he is taken in by nuns who allow him to live at the abbey temporarily. But after Christmas, he will go to the orphanage since the priest believes he can’t live in the abbey. 

With that sad information out of the way, “The First Christmas Snow” is actually quite heartwarming, and develops into a story about dreams coming true and friendship. 

The real main premise of the story is that Lucas and one of the nuns, Sister Theresa, are dreaming of a white Christmas since one has never graced the abbey before. To emphasize this, Angela Lansbury, the voice of Sister Theresa, gives a superb performance of the song “White Christmas,” and inspires Lucas and the rest of the audience to dream of a white Christmas. 

I quite enjoyed this film, and it’s ending is truly wonderful so I won’t bother spoiling it this time. This is definitely an unknown Christmas classic and I definitely recommend watching it this Christmas season if you haven’t already. 

5) “The Little Drummer Boy” 

“The Little Drummer Boy” is truly a classic by Rankin/Bass standards and tells one of the most compelling and iconic Christmas stories of all time. 

As the title suggests, the film is about a little drummer boy named Aaron, who has become a misanthrope after his parents died at the hands of thieves who burnt his house down. Since then, Aaron has wandered the desert with his surviving animals while playing his drum, the last gift he received from his parents. 

The story evolves into Aaron getting kidnapped by a money hungry caravan who plans to swindle the Three Wisemen while on their way to Bethlehem. Aaron experiences heartbreak after heartbreak throughout the story, however it is all solved with the baby Jesus’ help. 

I used to strongly dislike this film due to its apparent themes of death, however it has since become one I enjoy now that I can fully appreciate the story and the elements that make it so. I truly enjoyed Greer Garson as the narrator for this tale, her voice and delivery truly help to emphasize the importance of this charming tale. 

The soundtrack and score is something else I particularly love about this film as well. The Vienna Boys Choir does a fantastic job with whatever songs they were instructed to sing during this film, and the somber scores that play when the choir isn’t singing are also wonderfully beautiful. 

Although this film focuses more on the religious parts of Christmas rather than the commercialized parts, I highly recommend “The Little Drummer Boy” and consider it a must watch during the holiday season. 

4) “Jack Frost” 

Although this is not a Christmas-centric film, I still consider it to be one of the better Rankin/Bass holiday productions. 

The exposition of this film is definitely weird, as the narrator is revealed to be the Groundhog Day groundhog, Pardon Me Pete. As it turns out, Jack Frost not only has a large part to do with Christmas, but also with Groundhog day, which is revealed later in the film. 

Anyway, “Jack Frost” tells the story of the mythical figure of Jack Frost, who dreams of being a human after hearing that a girl has a crush on him. However, the girl he loves is also subject to the affection of the corrupt Cossack King, Kubla Kraus. 

While the plot of this film may seem disorganized at first glance, it’s actually pretty cohesive once you begin watching and this is a story I enjoy from start to finish. 

I really enjoyed seeing this interpretation of the winter sprite’s life, and having the seasons personified as kingdoms is certainly something cool to behold. This movie also has a pleasantly surprising soundtrack, with the best song arguably being “It’s Lonely Being One of a Kind.” Hearing Jack Frost lament about immortality will really tug at the heartstrings for sensitive watchers such as myself. I also enjoyed the song “There’s the Rub” since seeing a Russian Cossack go through an existential crisis is oddly entertaining.

While the songs are great, the story is also very captivating. I would say that this movie can hold an audience’s attention all the way through, since there is always something happening whether it be a love story, a knightly battle, or making ice money. 

Although “Jack Frost” is not the most Christmas-y film on this list, I quite like and will definitely be including this on my holiday watchlist, whether it be for Christmas or Groundhog Day.

3) “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer 

Kicking off the top three with a strong contender, “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” is one of the most fabulous films on this list. 

The plot is reminiscent of the song with the same name, so if you’ve heard “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” by any artist, you are sure to understand what is happening. However Rankin/Bass takes a few creative liberties while adapting this film that ultimately makes it better. 

The movie would be extremely short if it just followed the lyrics of the song, so in order to make up for time, Rankin/Bass adds in their own creative devices, including a dentist driven elf, an island of misfit toys, a peppermint crazed prospector, and an abominable snowman. These additions enhance the film and increase its overall nostalgic value, which has helped the film to be held dearly in the hearts of so many. 

Considering that this film was Rankin/Bass’ first attempt at creating a Christmas special, this film is incredibly impressive on numerous levels besides timeliness. My favorite element would have to be the stop-motion animation itself. Something just feels different about this film, maybe because it’s evident that so much care had been taken in its creation in order to ensure feelings of holiday joy in every viewer. 

The story of Rudolph and his shiny nose is a timeless classic that has managed to become almost a mascot for the Christmas season, and I would definitely consider this as one of the few “must-watches” on this list. 

2) “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” 

Coming in at number two is my favorite adaptation of the life of Santa Claus, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.” 

This movie has so much going for it and fortunately it all works in its favor. From the captivating plot to the nostalgic songs sang every year at Christmastime, there is nothing you really can hate about this story. 

My personal favorite part of this movie is the songs, since each one presented helps to move the plot along in an effective way that’s also entertaining. I really enjoyed Jessica/ Mrs. Claus’ power ballad, “My World is Beginning Today.” Not only does Jessica have a fabulous voice, but the sentiment and meaning behind the song is so beautiful that it’s so hard not to like. 

Although I liked almost every part of this film, one scene has been awarded my favorite and is probably my favorite scene in Rankin/Bass cinematic history- Santa’s wedding. This is one of the most beautiful and magical scenes in Rankin/Bass animation history and I cannot express the joy I feel whenever I watch it. 

This scene just exudes Christmas magic and really just makes the whole film worth watching, between Fred Astaire’s wedding serenade and the breathtaking Christmas tree Santa and his wife get married under is just fabulous. 

With my personal favorite things out of the way, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” is one of the best Rankin/Bass films plot wise and song wise. This is probably the adaptation of Claus’ life that I believe the most, considering the country of Santa’s actual origin is represented throughout the tale. However, the greatest part of this film has to be its music. 

I already touched on one of the songs, but the others featured in the movie are exceptional. “First Toymakers to the King,” “Put One Foot in Front of the Other,” “What Better Way to Tell You,” and “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” all enhance the plot and keep the story moving and the audience completely entertained. 

I absolutely adore this film and would highly recommend for all Christmas enthusiasts to indulge in the magic that is “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” however there is one more film that I endorse higher than this one. 

1) “A Year Without a Santa Claus” 

This is truly the magnum opus of Rankin/Bass animation studios and I could not be prouder to announce that “A Year Without a Santa Claus” is the best Rankin/Bass film, in my opinion. 

I love absolutely everything about this film, from the plot, songs, and even the characters. 

The film revolves around Santa Claus as he grapples with the fact that there may not be any more Christmas spirit among the people. Because of this, Santa Claus cancels Christmas, and now two of his elves, Mrs. Claus, and one of his reindeer are in search of any morsels of Christmas spirit. 

The plot already makes for a lovely story, and needless to say Rankin/Bass executes it perfectly. The film’s pacing was consistent and managed to tell one of the most wonderful and moving Christmas stories within fifty minutes. 

Another thing that makes this film better than the rest is its soundtrack, which has reserved a permanent spot in my mind year round. My personal favorite song would have to be “I believe in Santa Claus;” this song perfectly captures the plight of believing in Christmas magic, which is incredibly universal since that issue has certainly stood the test of time. I also enjoyed “Anyone Can Be Santa,” because learning that Mrs. Claus is a feminist icon is one of the greatest parts about the movie 

However, the main thing that keeps this movie at the top of my list are the characters. Santa Claus takes a backseat for this film, and gives Mrs. Claus and his lead elves, Jingle and Jangle, a chance to shine. I personally adore the characters of Jingle and Jangle and think that they add some much needed comedic relief throughout the story, and are fabulous friends to both Mrs. Claus and their new friend Ignatius. 

On the topic of comedic duos, “A Year Without a Santa Claus” gives a platform for two of my favorite Christmas characters, Heat Miser and Snow Miser. These two seasonal beings are what truly make the movie shine and ultimately better than the rest. Between their sibling rivalry and banter, it’s hard not to love these characters as the film goes on. 

Overall, this movie truly Rankin/Bass’ finest work, and I could not recommend this film more especially during the holiday season. 

Closing Words 

With that exhaustive ranking out of the way, I implore everyone to watch at least one of these films this Christmas season, and I hope these films bring you as much Christmas joy as they bring me. I hope you all have a very happy holiday season and a happy New Year.