• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Girls hockey skates by Newburyport in 5-4 win

Aleena Brown
Julia Warde (left) fends off Newburyport player in this weekend’s game.

The GHS Girls Hockey team came out victorious in their home opener of the 2023-2024 season against the Newburyport Clippers this weekend with a final score of 5-4. Jenna Connelly scored 2 of Gloucester’s goals, with 1 goal each by Halia Taylor, Lily Pregent, and Ari Scola. Connelly assisted 2 goals as well. 

Newburyport hit the back of the net first, but Gloucester was quick to tie up the game a minute into the second period. At the end of the 2nd period, the Clippers were once again leading, now by a score of 2-1.

The Fishermen scored two goals within 30 seconds of each other to start the 3rd period and jump ahead of their opponents. When Newburyport tied the game back up late in the third, Gloucester’s Connelly secured the win for the girls. 

Gloucester outshot Newburyport by a total of 8 shots, thanks to the team’s aggressive forward line. Keagan Jewell was a powerhouse on the ice, contributing to many shots and passes throughout the game. Maddie Jewell, Kaya Collins, and Abby Lowthers all helped out on their ice with good passing and slapshots. Ella Costa was a strong force for the Fishermen as well. The team’s defense was strong too, with Kaydin Cusumano blocking a total of 12 shots in the net. 

The team starts off their season 1-0, with their next game against the Marblehead Magicians this Thursday at Salem State.