The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Don't forget your summer reading! https://ghsreads01930.weebly.com/
  • Graduation June 9th, 4:00 p.m. Newell Stadium
  • Final exams 6/11 - 6/13

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Boys hockey drops home opener to Concord-Carlisle

Brett+Cunningham+celebrates+one+of+his+goals+during+the+first+period+of+Gloucesters+game+against+Concord-Carlisle+
Aleena Brown
Brett Cunningham celebrates one of his goals during the first period of Gloucester’s game against Concord-Carlisle

In their home opener of the 2023-2024 hockey season, Gloucester was hoping to finish victorious over their D2 rival, the Concord-Carlisle Patriots. Unfortunately, the boys lost 5-8 after an aggressive and hard-fought game.

Brett Cunningham scored 2 of Gloucester’s goals, along with goals from Joesph Orlando, Charlie Terelak, and Colby Jewell. Cade Cooper and James Sanfilippo had 2 assists, while Cunningham had 1. 

Despite the end result, the team played well and remained strong on both offense and defense throughout the three periods. The first shift for the Fishermen played the strongest, with a majority of goals scored during their time on the ice. The Fishermen were shooting the puck more often than the Patriots, outshooting them by 10 shots. 

Jackson Hakes had good puck movement, along with a strong shooting performance by Chris LoJacono. Sanfilippo and William Lowthers were aggressive with puck movement and shooting across the boards. Freshmen Sam Sanfilippo and William Linn also helped contribute to plays out on the ice with strong passes across the rink. 

The game was within the Fishermen’s grasp for a majority of the game, but an offensive takeoff by the Patriots in the middle of the second period pushed them far away from the Fishermen. Gloucester scored a few goals to close the gap, but their opponents struck right back to take home the win.

An aggressive offensive push in the third period was not enough for the Fishermen to tie up the game. The boys start off the season 0-1 and are hoping to snag a win in their next game against the Marblehead Magicians at Salem State.