The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Field hockey finishes regular season in style

Aleena Brown
Sophomore goalie Keagan Jewell prepares for a shot.

The Gloucester Field Hockey team ended their regular season with a win against Division 1 Chelmsford on Saturday morning. With a final score of 2-0, scorers Lexi Carollo and Anna Cinelli led the Fishermen to secure their high position in the playoffs.

The game was tied 0-0, until Cinelli shot a ball to the back of the net to take the lead. The girls had several offensive corners throughout the game, along with over 20 shots on the Chelmsford goalie. Carollo secured the win in the second half with her goal.

Keagan Jewell was a star in the net, putting up multiple kick blocks and saves, along with a lay-out save across the net. Captains Ella Costa, Ari Scola, and Abby Lowthers had strong games in terms of shots and scoring opportunities. The midfield was also rock solid for both the defense and forwards. 

Joie Cody and Bella Goulart had good blocks and were aggressive in fights for the ball. Lily Pregent shot multiple balls to the Chelmsford goalie throughout the four quarters. Swings Maddie Jewell, Talia Harrington, Emma Carrapichosa, and Olivia Madruga made important saves and shots for the team.

Despite carding from the referee, the Fishermen stayed strong. The group was mostly carded on bodying, along with one on a 5-yard penalty.

With this win, the Fishermen end the season with a record of 13-3-2. Before this win, the girls were ranked 7th in Division 3. They lead the main contenders of the NEC pack currently, with Danvers ranked 10th and Swampscott ranked 13th. 

The team waits until Tuesday to see where they will be placed in the MIAA tournament. The team will be high in the ranking, so expect a home playoff game to start off their run.