The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Falcons fly by Fishermen in an aggressive NEC match

%28From+Left%29%3A+Isla+Black%2C+Bella+Goulart%2C+Lexi+Carollo%2C+Lily+Pregent%2C+and+Anna+Cinelli+huddle+up+pre-game+
Aleena Brown
(From Left): Isla Black, Bella Goulart, Lexi Carollo, Lily Pregent, and Anna Cinelli huddle up pre-game

The Danvers Falcons denied the Gloucester Fishermen a falcon dinner Tuesday night, handing them their third loss this season. 

Both the Gloucester offense and defense were strong all night, but a Danvers goal snuck by early in the second half to secure a Falcon win. 

Gloucester played aggressively against the Falcons, playing one of their most intense games against their rivals. The forward line of captain Abby Lowthers, Lily Pregent, and Anna Cinelli had amazing ball movement in all four quarters, racking up multiple shots. The offensive midfielders were excellent as well, with captains Ari Scola and Ella Costa dominating Danvers’ zone. 

The defensive midfield/defensive group, consisting of Bella Goulart, Jordan Palk, Anna Hafey, Joie Cody, and Lexi Carollo, worked hard at getting the ball out of the circle. Hafey was especially strong during defensive corners on rush. Sophomore goalie Keagan Jewell was smart in net, blocking multiple shots for Danvers. Despite all the shots made from the Fishermen, the Danvers goalie did an amazing job at stopping every Gloucester attempt. 

A difficulty for the Fishermen during the game was penalties. Pregent got a green card during the second half. The referees were unequal on their calls for both teams, and this put Gloucester at a disadvantage throughout the game. Both teams were called for bodying, although Gloucester was called more frequently. While the Fishermen tried to push through to secure either a tie or a win, the Falcons were a strong flock that refused to be taken down. 

The team is now at 12-3-2 with a single game left on Saturday. The team plays Chelmsford at Newell Stadium, a non-league opponent who has 7 losses this season. It’s not a question that the group is headed to the tournament, where they are looking to run deep for victory.