• Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!

Field hockey wins big on senior night

Lauren Riley-Gove
Top (L to R): Joie Cody, Ari Scola, Bella Goulart, Abby Lowthers, Anna CInelli, Lexi Carollo, Lily Pregent, Jordan Palk Bottom (L to R): Anna Hafey and Ella Costa

After the ceremonies of Senior Night, the Gloucester Fishermen Field Hockey team won against Malden Catholic 4-0. Captain Ella Costa struck first on a stroke, with Lexi Carollo and captain Abby Lowthers scoring the other three in the last three quarters. Lily Pregent, captain Ari Scola, and Costa assisted on the last three goals. 

In the last two seconds of the first half, a Malden Catholic player interfered with her foot, preventing a Gloucester goal. The Fishermen picked Costa to take the penalty stroke and she shot it to the top left corner for a goal. 

Carollo scored on a shot in the second with a pass from Pregent during an offensive corner. Lowthers then scored the last two goals in the third and fourth quarters with assists from her co-captains Scola and Costa. 

Joie Cody was a force on defense, laying down multiple blocks on the midfield. Anna Cinelli was also strong with her fellow forwards, who put up 24 shots on goal with the offense and offensive midfielders. Goalie Keagan Jewell saved 14 shots in total. Pregent got a yellow card at the end of the game for “unsportsmanlike conduct.” Despite this, the Fishermen were strong on both offense and defense. 

The ten seniors on the Varsity team were honored prior to the start of the game, along with recognition for the opposing team. The seniors were met with hugs from coaches Lauren Riley-Gove and Donald Riley, and with flowers and pictures from their family. The seniors make up 10/11 spots on the starting lineup, excluding Jewell. Graduating seniors are as follows: Ella Costa, Ari Scola, Jordan Palk, Bella Goulart, Anna Hafey, Anna Cinelli, Abby Lowthers, Joie Cody, Lexi Carollo and Lily Pregent.

The team’s senior night was the second to last home game in the regular season for the Fishermen. They play their next game in Danvers this Tuesday. Their current record is 12-2-2. Seeded 5th in Division 3, the girls look to stay ahead of the 8th placed Falcons in a battle that is expected to be heated until the last shot. This game will also start to finalize who will take the NEC title this season, mainly between Gloucester, Danvers, Swampscott, and Masconomet.