• Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!

Fishermen and Falcons tie in heated NEC battle

Aleena Brown
Head Coach Lauren Riley Gove celebrates with Ari Scola.

The Gloucester Fishermen and Danvers Falcons played a passionate game against Gloucester with a 1-1 tie. 

The first quarter of the game opened up with many shots from the Fishermen’s offense. Sophomore goalie Keagan Jewell had an important save at the corner of the net, which Joie Cody took out of the circle. A hard battle between the two teams resulted in the ball being lifted up in front of the net and shot above Jewell’s head for a Danvers goal.

Captains Ari Scola and Ella Costa had a good passing line up the field with Carollo, which Anna Cinelli soon matched to advance the ball. Jordan Palk had a block in front of Jewell after several Gloucester shots were deflected by the Danvers goalie. At the end of the first quarter, Lily Pregent had a breakaway up the field with a pass to Captain Abby Lowthers, who missed the net. 

The second and third halves met the Fishermen with many challenges. Despite this, Cody was strong on the sides of the field and Cinelli had a save at the line from a drive. Despite many corner attempts, the girls could not find the back of the net. Jewell redeemed herself after the goal she let up, blocking a shot above her head. 

The team started to come out more aggressive, but they still could not manage to tie the game up. Pregent shot the ball to the net, but it was called off for a foot interference. Lowthers made many shots on the net, but they either missed the goal or were blocked. Anna Hafey had a good drive up the field to Scola and Cody hit a hard drive as well. Another goal from the Fishermen was called off for stick interference. 

Going into the fourth quarter, the Fishermen were out for Falcon blood. Pregent and Cinelli both had breakaways, which ended up in missed shots. The Fishermen finally struck back against the Falcons with 4 minutes left in the game. Costa scored the goal for the team with Cinelli assisting. Neither team could bounce back and score, leading to a tie.

This tie is the first time the Falcons didn’t take home a win this season, moving them to 6-0-1. Swampscott are a big threat to the Fishermen’s season, who are looking to make it past Round 3 of the state playoffs. Phil Stacey, sports reporter of Salem News, tweeted how “it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them meet […] in the Division 3 state playoffs.”

“I think all around the effort and energy from the team was great,” Captain Scola said. “We couldn’t execute exactly how we wanted but we did what we had to do to make sure we weren’t losing. The score didn’t reflect on how we played because it was a very well played game by our team. We just need to focus on more urgency and getting the ball in the net.”

The field hockey team moves to 5-1-1 on the season, with a rematch against Swampscott at home this Friday. Get loud and riled up for the girls as they look to get revenge on the Big Blue.