The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Field hockey takes down Beverly for 5th straight win

Left+to+right%3A+Anna+Hafey%2C+Keagan+Jewell%2C+and+Bella+Goulart+
Jennifer Sanfilippo
Left to right: Anna Hafey, Keagan Jewell, and Bella Goulart

The Gloucester field hockey pulled out another win against Beverly last Friday with a 4-0 victory.

It took a little time for the Fishermen to strike, but Captain Ari Scola hit the back of the net with 32 seconds left in the first. Captains Ella Costa and Abby Lowthers controlled the ball up the field, while Anna Hafey and Joie Cody held down the fort in front of goalie Keagan Jewell.

The second quarter, despite a lack goals, was anything but quiet. The Fishermen made sure to fight for the ball any chance they got, often running to the line and blocking off shots in the circle. While one shot got in the net, it was called off because of an interference by a foot in the circle. 

Jewell had a diving save at the net during the third quarter, one of the few shots Beverly got to her. Hafey, Cody, Jordan Palk, and Bella Goulart all prevented the ball from getting to the net throughout all four quarters. Costa shot after a pass from Scola to score the second Fishermen goal.

Lexi Carollo had a corner shot in the 4th, and a shot from Lily Pregent made the game 3-0. With 5 minutes left in the game, Anna Cinelli took a penalty shot for Gloucester, which was unsuccessful. Costa scored after to solidify the 4-0 win for the Fishermen.

“We were really working as a team. We were doing our best to communicate and that really worked for us today,”  Lowthers said.

The team moves to 5-1 on the season. This is Jewell’s 5th straight shutout. Gloucester looks to be a contender to win the NEC title, along with Danvers, Masconomet, and Swampscott. With 36 goals so far, the team is on its way to conference dominance. Pregent and Lowthers are both first and second respectively on the Gloucester Times “North Shore Field Hockey Scoring and Goalie Leaders” list. Costa was tied for seventh and Cinelli was tied for tenth before their win last Friday. Costa was tied for first with assists with Cinelli tied for eighth.

For point totals,  Gloucester dominates the top three in the rankings with Pregent, Lowthers, and Costa. Cinelli is tied for ninth with Emma Allen from Masconomet, and Sawyer Groothius of Swampscott. Groothius is a top player for the Big Blue, the Fishermen’s only loss so far. Jewell is ranked second out of Goalies, with only the goalie of Pingree ahead of her. 

The Fishermen will play Danvers on Tuesday, September 26th in a matchup that will begin shaping up this year’s playoff race.