GHS library runs “blind date with a book” in anticipation of Valentine’s Day

FINN WALL and BEN CARPENTER

Love is in the air as the GHS library starts up a new “blind date with a book” program for students looking for a good read.

Participants select books to check out without knowing exactly what they’ve picked—hence the term “blind date.” While the idea has been around for a while, this is only the second year librarian Samantha Teixeira is running the program. So far, twelve students have participated. 

Each book has been wrapped in Valentine’s-themed packaging and topped with a bow so the cover and title are obscured. A quote from the book is displayed on the outside, which gives students a feel for the tone of what they might pick out. For those who make it to the library soon, there are also a few books left that have candy attached.

“I did this a couple of years ago and it just wasn’t very popular,” Teixeira said. “I feel like I was so sad when nobody did it the first time, but this year it’s been really popular. I think the candy helped.”

Teixeira said making sure that all groups of people were portrayed was important to her.

“I tried to pick books that aren’t necessarily Valentine’s books but still have a good love story,” Teixeria said. “Also, this year with my Valentine’s book, I made an effort to make sure the books are diverse in terms of race, gender identity, and LGBTQ people.”

The books are a mix of classic literature, fiction, and nonfiction. They also have a variety of different types of love, not necessarily just romance, which makes the program more accessible to everyone.

Some students have enjoyed their blind dates so much that they chose to use them for their English classes.

“One girl picked [her “blind date” book] for an assignment and it ended up being a very exciting thing,” Teixeira said of a student in a creative writing course.

A few of the titles that students have already been “set up” with include “Will Grayson, Will Grayson,” by David Levithan, “Carry On,” by Rainbow Rowell, and “Lips Touch; Three Times,” by Laini Taylor. 

The program started last Monday and will continue until February break. For students interested, the books are available in the library, upon request from Mrs. Teixeria.