Why class fundraising is important

DAKOTA OLIVEIRA, Staff Writer

Most of you have probably seen a table set up in the cafeteria when a holiday is near, with students selling candy grams. You’ve seen posters up around the school promoting a restaurant night at Jalepeno’s, or reminding you to pay your class dues. When I was an uninvolved underclassman, I wondered why there were always announcements and posters about these things, and you might too. Well lucky for you, I’m about to break down why it is important to contribute to class fundraising efforts, and how to have fun while doing it. 

Each class is assigned an advisor when they arrive at the high school and these advisors stick with the class until they graduate. The class advisors are responsible for planning any events throughout the class’ 4 year journey through high school such as sophomore event, junior event, semi-formal, prom, etc. The class advisors are as follows, Freshman: Ms. Bean and  Ms.Sonia, Sophomores: Ms Finacey, Juniors: Ms.McGlynn and Ms.Walsh, Seniors: Ms.Menery and Ms.Cullen. Of course they are not alone in this as each class also has a student council board and representatives working together to make sure each event is a success. 

“It’s not just about the money, but it’s about bringing the student council kids together. Even if they only make 200 or 300 dollars, they’re spending hours after school making the candygram bags. It’s a bonding thing too,” said five time class advisor Rayanne Menery Sammataro. 

The class dues and fundraising go towards funding these events and their room rental fees, DJ, catering, chaperones, etc. Each class has designated holidays that they are allowed to fundraise during, the  freshman class has Easter and St.Patrick’s Day, sophomores have Thanksgiving and Halloween, Juniors have Valentines day, and Seniors have Mardi Gras and Christmas. 

Other dates clubs and extracurriculars want to fundraise on must be approved to be put on the master calendar as only one club/class is allowed to fundraise in a week to prevent parents from deciding to support one or the other. This ultimately spreads events out and by doing so brings in more money for the class. 

As well as paying for events and the fees that come with them the class funding pays for the class gift. The class gift has been a tradition for several decades and can be spotted around the school in the form of benches, pillars or other useful additions all labeled with the graduating class. The purpose of the class gift is to leave something behind for the classes to follow and leave a mark at the school. 

If you’ve ever been to a GHS graduation you have seen what is officially named “the transfer of leadership” between the graduating class and the class below them. In this transfer the graduating class passes on two incredibly important items which are a sextant and a spy glass, both a gift from the class of 1942 with powerful symbolism behind them. 

“ A spy glass to look ahead and lead the way,” said Principal James Cook “and a sextant to know where you are and to chart your direction”  

The class advisors are as follows, Freshman: Ms. Bean and  Ms.Sonia, Sophomores: Ms Finacey, Juniors: Ms.McGlynn and Ms.Walsh, Seniors: Ms.Menery and Ms.Cullen. Of course they are not alone in this as each class also has a student council board and representatives working together to make sure each event is a success. 

A special thank you to the class advisors and student council for all that you do!