Bathrooms are back by popular demand

NICHOLAS POULIN, Staff Writer

Students will now have full access to all restrooms during the school day. Immediate changes have been to open all bathrooms schoolwide.

Last week, GHS implemented a new bathroom policy in order to curb vandalism and vaping, but staffing and supervision issues made this plan difficult to execute.  Over the past several days, many students have complained about the lack of open bathrooms. 

In a letter to students and families Wednesday night, GHS principal James Cook laid out the new changes to the recent bathroom policy. “Starting tomorrow (Thursday), we are adjusting bathroom supervision in a way that will allow us to open all of the bathrooms in the main building for regular use,” Cook said.

Principal Cook also acknowledged the issues caused by the policy regarding staffing and class disruption.

“However, as we rolled out the change, we have not had the staff available to properly supervise as many bathrooms as we had hoped, which has caused difficulties for students and time away from classes,” Cook said.

Even though the bathrooms are open, administration is remaining vigilant surrounding the recent strings of vandalism. 

“I urge you to discuss this matter—both the vandalism and the vaping—with your child,” Cook said in his message to families.  “Most of our students continue to act responsibly and don’t engage in these activities.”