Live theater returns to GHS this fall

The cast and crew of In the Forests of the Night

Jessica Kirk

The cast and crew of “In the Forests of the Night”

MICHAEL MERCHANT, Staff Writer

After two years of virtual performances, the GHS drama club will present  “In the Forests of the Night,” by Del Martin, live, this fall. 

The dramatic tale features thirteen unnamed protagonists who go into the woods to play a game with mysterious rules. It will be brought to life by cast and crew in mid-November. 

“I’m really excited for the community to be in person and to be on stage again,” said makeup and costume designer Willow Barry. 

The performances will be in person for the first time since fall 2019. It’s uncertain how COVID-19 will affect performances, but masks will be required during rehearsals, which are in person. 

“I  think the power of live theatre has so much more energy to it,” said Nate Oaks, who plays the role of Three in the show. “I’m excited to have that energy because it’s what makes theatre so magical for me.”

“In the Forests of the Night” was selected by drama club director, Jessica Kirk.  “I alternate the genre of the show every year, between drama and comedy to open up opportunities for students,” said Kirk. 

It is also a one-act play so that it can be submitted to the Massachusetts Educational Theatre Guild contest. The METG festival will take place in March of 2022 and feature high school productions from across Massachusetts. 

The show will be performed on Thursday, November 18th at 7:00 pm, Friday, November 19th at 7:00 pm, and Saturday, November 20th at both 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm. 

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Fall show “In the Forests of the Night”

WHEN: Thursday, November 18th at 7:00 pm

Friday, November 19th at 7:00 pm

Saturday, November 20th at 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm. 

WHERE: GHS Auditorium 

HOW MUCH: Ticket prices TBA