Graduation is a go for the class of 2021

AIS COOK, Staff Writer

After last year’s bare-bones gathering, guests and graduates alike will be pleased with the changes that have been made this year.  

The Commencement Ceremony for the Class of 2021 is planned for Sunday, June 13 at 1:30 pm at Newell Stadium with a rain date of Monday, June 14 at 7:30 pm at Newell Stadium.

Masks, though recommended for non-vaccinated participants and attendees, will not be required. Graduates will be limited to inviting six guests each, but those guests will not have to preregister, instead only need to bring their ticket.  Available seating will allow individuals to “maintain distance between households” as encouraged by state guidelines.   

“We are doing our absolute best to create an inclusive ceremony that abides by state guidance and allows for differing levels of comfort among families related to COVID,” Principal James Cook said . 

Students, staff, and guests who are required to self-isolate or quarantine or who are experiencing any of the COVID-related symptoms described here are expected not to attend the graduation ceremony.

As for the ceremony, speeches from the Class President, Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Mayor, Superintendent, and Principal will be included as usual this year. And while graduates will be handed their diplomas, the traditional handshake line will not be included.