Girls soccer ends season on a high note

Dawn Enos

Freshman Aleena Dort makes a leap for the ball while playing goalie a few weeks ago.

ANDREW COELHO, Staff Writer

The girls soccer team got back in the win column after an impressive home victory on Senior Night. After a celebration of their two senior captains, they came away with a 1-0 win against Saugus. 

On their Senior Night, they honored senior Captain Mila Barry and senior Captain Rumi Thomas. Captain Barry was accompanied by both her parents, Amy and Brian Barry and her sister, Willow Barry. Captain Thomas was accompanied by her two brothers, Byron and Darwin, her parents, Julie and Chris. 

Gloucester played a strong game with defense led by senior Rumi Thomas, along with junior Ais Cook, sophomore Marissa Vincent, and freshman Kajsa Curcuru. In net was sophomore Maggie Sperry. This Gloucester defense kept a clean sheet, not allowing Saugus to get on the score sheet. 

On the attacking end, junior captain Darcy Muller scored the game winning goal, after a nicely placed finish. Muller generates most of Gloucester’s goal scoring opportunities, with three years of varsity experience. 

Following senior night, Gloucester dropped a 5-0 loss to a strong Swampscott side and then traveled to Salem for a rematch. After beating Salem at home early in the season, Gloucester continued to show their dominance in a strong 2-0 win – a difficult task to beat a team twice in the same season. 

Both goals came from Muller, who has scored all six of Gloucester’s goals against Salem, her 7th of the season. 

On Saugus’s senior night, they showed Gloucester how difficult it is to beat a team twice as Saugus got their revenge in a 6-1 win. For Gloucester, their goal came from freshman Abby Stauffer, her first varsity goal. It was a disappointing loss but was a very important message to the younger players on the team, teaching them this valuable lesson. 

In their last game of the season they dropped a 5-0 loss to a strong NEC North team, Peabody High. These girls had a productive season with a young team, finishing with a record of 2-5. 

“I’m really thankful that Mr. Lafata and the administration here worked so hard that we could get a season, especially for our two seniors, Rumi and Mila.” said Coach Boardway. 

“Overall, I think at first the protocols seemed a little overwhelming but over the course of the season it became easier. I was really happy with our play, some of our opponents were very strong but we stepped up and showed up to play everyday.”

This young team is ready to rebuild. “This year one third of our team was freshman so those freshmen were able to get some varsity experience and that will be a great building block for next year,” Boardway said. “We had 2 seniors who were great leaders, but most of our team will be returning with some varsity minutes under their belt.”