Opinion: It’s cool (not) to be cool

CAROLINE ENOS, Staff Writer

Society has associated being “cool” with being mainstream. Teens have been pressured to think that being mainstream is the only way to be considered normal, and that being out of this crowd means that you are anything but normal.

Therefore, multiple GHS students would think that I, along with many of us, do not fit their definitions of “cool.”

And you know what? It’s okay. Everyone has their own definition of what being “cool” is and I wouldn’t be able to stand it if I fit the normal idea of high school “coolness.”

Now, I am not trying to shame all the girls whose Michael Kors bags match their iPhone (insert newest model here) case. Nor am I trying to bash the guys that just have to have those new Nike whatevers. It’s just how these people express themselves.

But many of us cannot identify with this idea of “coolness.” I cringe whenever I walk past a PINK store and snarl at the horrid smell of Abercrombie and Fitch. I have a deeply rooted hatred for every Kardashian-Jenner robot (and yes, that includes Kanye), and don’t understand why some girls wear rain boots on a sunny day.

Although, many people find my interests as un-relatable as I find theirs. I listen to music that has been produced primarily before 1990. I have launched an unsuccessful campaign to bring back the phrase “groovy” and know the words to the “Safety Dance” better than those to “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae).”

Some people would think that this is weird, but I’m okay with that. At the end of the day, it’s more important to showcase your individuality than trying to be apart if a crowd that doesn’t suit your personality.

If your favorite accessory is a pair of cat tights from Newbury Comics then go buy as many as you can fit in that quirky eco-friendly tote bag you love.

If you’re into video games and computers, then spend your Saturday night playing Minecraft until your thumbs freeze.

If you want to do something then do it. People are too preoccupied with perfecting their own aesthetic to judge yours.