• April 22Girls Varsity Tennis has a game against Marblehead at GHS on Wednesday, April 24th at 4:30pm

• April 22Boys Varsity Tennis has a game against Marblehead at Seaside Park, Marblehead on Wednesday, April 24th at 4pm

• April 2Girls Varsity Softball has a game against Marblehead at GHS on Wednesday, April 24th at 4:30pm

• March 31Boys Varsity Lacrosse has a game against Danvers at Danvers High School on Wednesday, April 24th at 6pm

• March 25Boys Varsity Baseball has a game against Marblehead at Seaside Park, Marblehead on Wednesday, April 24th at 4pm

• March 25Girls Varsity Lacrosse has a game against Revere at GHS on Tuesday, April 23th at 4pm

NHS raises awareness for hunger and the Open Door

Back to Article
Back to Article

Art by Ericca Nolan

Art by Ericca Nolan

Art by Ericca Nolan

ERICCA NOLAN, Staff Writer

Community service and charity are an important topic of interest for GHS’s National Honors Society students. These groups are always looking to promote important informative charities and community service opportunities within the community.

“I am happy to support the cause and use all of the resources of the Library Learning Commons in any way to help raise awareness about Hunger Action Month,” said GHS Library teacher Samantha Teixeira. “I have a unit in my Endicott class that deals with these issues and it is a great topic to talk about with the students around Thanksgiving about things surrounding the hungry in the United States.”

Students and teachers within the community have joined together to support this cause and raise awareness.

NHS students are raising funds for the Open Door Food Pantry by selling ribbons. The ribbons are orange in color to represent Hunger Action month.

NHS officers made a total of 500 orange ribbons and distributed them to each member of the NHS. Each ribbon is being sold for one dollar, and all of the proceeds will be given to the Open Door Food Pantry in honor of Hunger Action Month.

President of NHS, Soo Ae Ono, came up with the idea and made it happen.

“In the past, students on NHS will only participate in NHS activities to make it look good for college and to wear the sash for graduation,” said Ono. “We chose to do this to give back to the Open Door Food Pantry because we are already required to volunteer twice, so why not give a little bit more.”

“Since we are all a part of it (NHS), it is really important for all of us to give back and do more for our community,” said Ono.

Positive messages are said in support of the cause when talking to students selling these ribbons.

The sale of these ribbons will continue throughout September or until they have run out.

One of the students selling ribbons, Vidriana Catanzaro, talked about why she likes this charity event.

“I think it’s a really good idea that we are doing this because it is a great way to get to all these people,” said Catanzaro. “We really get to reach out to the homeless and hungry and really help to support them.”

If you would like to buy a dollar in support of the Open Door Food Pantry: get in contact with any of the NHS members, including officers Soo Ae Ono, Ericca Nolan, Hunter Wieckowski, and Maria Kotob, or see Rayanne Menery in room 1213.