The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Don't forget your summer reading! https://ghsreads01930.weebly.com/
  • Graduation June 9th, 4:00 p.m. Newell Stadium
  • Final exams 6/11 - 6/13

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Softball cruises by Bishop Fenwick in 4-1 bash

Dawn Enos
(From left to right) Olivia Madruga and Cam Carroll high five during the game.

Everything is better the second time around, and the Gloucester Softball team would agree. After dropping the series opener 10-1, the Fishermen outlasted the Bishop Fenwick Crusaders in a hard-fought 4-1 win.

Gloucester’s defense was spot-on throughout the entire game, only allowing one run and two hits from the booming Crusader offense. Cam Caroll pitched a full seven innings with 7 strikeouts.

The takeoff for Gloucester came from sophomore Emma Carrapichosa, who blasted a 3-run homer far past the unsuspecting Crusaders. The team capitalized on multiple opportunities, both on offense and defense.

“Jenna [Connelly] called it,” Carrapichosa said post-win. Carrapichosa has been a big bat for the Fishermen, along with Connelly, Carroll, Olivia Madruga, and Mackayla Allen.

The Fishermen now stand at a 7-8 record with only a few regular season games left. After this big win over the Bishop powerhouse, they jumped to 14th place on the power rankings. The next game slotted for Gloucester is Wednesday at home against the Beverly Panthers. The game also marks the Fishermen’s last home game and the team’s senior night. Come support the girls at 4:30pm for the NEC battle.