True Crime Time: Part one

Lexi Thomas, Contributor

Looking for a compelling watch? Love true crime? Our four part “True Crime Time” series is sure to satisfy your true crime fix.In this series, we will break down reviews of many popular true crime specials, dive into the world of serial killer psychology and most importantly, collaborate on new cases in the comment section. So come along for the journey as freshman Lexi Thomas breaks down the best documentaries, YouTube videos, and more on the world of true crime.

This week, we examine the Netflix documentary “Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer” which was released this year on January 13, 2021. It was executive produced by Tiller Russel, Eli Holzman, Aaron Saidman and Tim Walsh and is a deep depiction of the crimes committed by Richard Ramirez, the “Night Stalker.” In this four part docu-series, the producers interview many police officers and people involved in the fifteen-victim homicide spree of Richard Ramirez. 

In the biggest lull of crime in Los Angeles’s history, the city was on cloud nine. It hosted the Olympics, housed many of the most famous movie stars and provided  the perfect environment for the free spirited tourist who wanted a getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This, however, was only the surface of what LA really had to offer. The facade of the ideal vacation spot was starting to wear off in the mid 1980’s where the average year brought over 1,000 murder cases across the desks of the determined detectives at the Los Angeles Police Department. Among that number was the Hillside strangler, another infamous case I’m sure we’ll cover soon. 

The documentary also dives into the extensive knowledge of Detective Gil Carrillo, a LA county sheriff a part of the homicide bureau that tracked down and put away Ramirez. This patrol cop turned homicide extraordinaire who along with his fellow detectives “The Bulldogs” found themselves in one of the biggest homicide cases to date.  As Frank Salerno said, “There’s nothing more serious than one human being taking the life of another.”

Rotten Tomatoes gave the mini series a 73% approval rating, which I personally think is way too low after seeing the incredible execution of said documentary. It’s a must see for all you true crime fans out there and one that I have seen over and over again countless times.