Categories:

Student Athletes of the Week

The Gillnetter’s top picks for GHS student athletes
Captain Thomas Cribbs, freshman Fiona Black, and Captain Jaylen Severino are the Gillnetter's Week 1 Student Athletes of the Week.
Captain Thomas Cribbs, freshman Fiona Black, and Captain Jaylen Severino are the Gillnetter’s Week 1 Student Athletes of the Week.
Dawn Enos/Aleena Brown

Thomas Cribbs – Football

Vincenzo Ciaramitaro

Captain Thomas Cribbs is known for his hard work and excellent performance as a player on the field but is often overlooked as a newfound leader. The junior is one of four captains on the GHS Football team.

Cribbs plays both sides of the ball with prowess, as he’s a Fullback on offense and Inside Linebacker on defense.

Cribbs performed excellently in last week’s game against Somerville, helping lead his team to a 27-10 win. He had 2 touchdowns on the ground. Cribbs rushed for 11 carries and 85 yards, averaging 7.7 yards per carry. He was also awarded a sack to give his team 2 points on a safety and forced a fumble (picked up by Max Thomas) to turn the momentum in Gloucester’s favor.

Fiona Black – Field Hockey

Bryan Lafata

Picking up a sport is hard, but it’s significantly harder to do in high school. The skill of your opponents skyrockets. There’s a reason athletes start the most competitive high school sports when they’re young. There are rare cases, however, of student-athletes joining a sport for the first time in high school and excelling. An example of that is freshman Fiona Black.

Black plays forward for the young Fishermen squad and is exceeding expectations in both her debut season for Gloucester and her career. 

In Gloucester’s first eight games, Black netted a team-leading 5 goals. The freshman also surpassed sophomore standout Olivia Madruga in points, now boosting nine total.  

One of Black’s skills is her agility. The forward has improved her ball handling dramatically and she’s been a force in the offensive circle.

Jaylen Severino – Football

Vincenzo Ciaramitaro

Captain Jaylen Severino serves alongside Cribbs as one of the captains for the Fishermen.

The junior plays wingback on offense and free safety on defense.

Severino is known for making big plays in big spots. This trait went in Gloucester’s favor in their last game against Somerville. Severino had 6 carries with 132 yards, including a 79 yard rushing touchdown.

Severino has been a leader in all aspects of the game and represented the Gloucester program