Gym class just got more flexible

Physical education teacher Mr. John Sperry (left)  leads a group of GHS students in a yoga class.

Brittany Williams

Physical education teacher Mr. John Sperry (left) leads a group of GHS students in a yoga class.

CORRYN ULRICH, Staff Writer

It might seem like a stretch,  but students looking to balance out their day may want to check out the newest gym class offering here at  Gloucester High School – Yoga.

G.H.S. gym teacher, Mr. John Sperry, introduced yoga to his classes a few years ago as a way to get less-competitive people more involved in his class.  “The response was awesome,” said Sperry.   Since then, Sperry has as been pushing for a yoga program here at G.H.S.  It took three years, but he finally got what he asked for – a new yoga class.

“The best thing about yoga is that it can be modified to fit your needs,” said Sperry. “I used to lift all the time, but Yoga keeps me young.”

In addition to the positive physical effects of yoga, Sperry says yoga has a calming effect on the mind and sharpens focusing skills.  His class starts with a focus exercise, such as deep breathing and easy poses, and then flows into the more difficult poses, such as wide legged forward bends.

Sophomore Jenna Taormina says her A-block yoga class helps alleviate the stress of her busy school day.  “I love yoga,” said Taormina. “It’s very beneficial. It’s very relaxing. I have so much homework and a lot of honors classes.  Yoga teaches me stress management.”

“It makes me feel like a new man after each session,” said senior Cam Reeve. “I would recommend yoga to anyone who wants to be flexible and get a good workout that keeps your mind calm.“

Interested in Yoga? See your guidance counselor to sign up for next semester’s A block yoga class.