Bauke, Muniz, and Merritt recognized at Drama Festival

Jessica Ruggles

(from left) Danielle Bauke, Jessyca Muniz, and Alexis Merritt pose with their awards from Drama Festival last weekend

RACHEL VINCENT, Staff Writer

The METG Massachusetts Theatre Celebration at Weston High School was held last Saturday, where Gloucester High School’s Theatre Program participated with their production of “Twelfth Night.”

They were recognized for their stage presence and overall production quality during the award ceremony. Senior Danielle Bauke received the first award of the night for her role as Viola, junior Jessyca Muniz was recognized for her natural stage presence in her role of Maria and the final award was given to Alexis Merritt for her success in sound design.

“I was happy and surprised,” says Muniz, “I didn’t really think that my effort in the show would be recognized.”

The students spent the day watching performances from other schools such as Hudson HS, Malden HS, Dennis-Yarmouth, Weston HS, Josiah Quincy Upper School and Wellesley HS. At the end of the productions, they were placed in discussion groups and shared their thoughts.

“The students were blown away by the performances of their MA Theatre student peers, wowed by the ensemble written shows that were presented, and cannot wait to return next year!” says theatre arts teacher Jessica Ruggles.

The group has high hopes for future performances.

“We’re just going to keep improving,” says Muniz, “everyone keeps getting better and better.”