Rising sea levels concern GHS students

MARIA KOTOB and RACHEL VINCENT

Have you ever been curious about the rate of the sea level rising? Living in an ocean-front city raises questions like this. Although the internet can tell you how fast the water is rising throughout the world, the rate from which it is happening in one’s hometown may be unknown. Gloucester High School’s Environmental Issues Class  will be hosting an event where they will be presenting and discussing: “Areas Vulnerable to Storm Surges and Sea Level Rise: Gloucester, MA.” It is open to the public for anyone interested.

“The students have been studying shout climate change and sea level using Google Earth to see what will happen to the sea level in Gloucester. They want to be proactive to stop it before something happens rather than reactive when the problem occurs,” said environmental science teacher Rachel Rex.

Gloucester High School Students have been analyzing storm surge and sea level rise maps to identify areas most vulnerable in our city. Students would like to share their findings with local citizens and community leaders to raise awareness, share their insights and to ask questions. There will be posters and presentations by the GHS Environmental Science students.

This is a part of a “Seeking Relief from Sea Level Rise: Student Mapping and Leadership Initiative” sponsored by New England Biolabs Foundation. The students were assisted by Liz Duff from Mass Audubon and Environmental Science teacher Rachel Rex.

“We would be honored if you would attend,” said Rex.

If you would like to go:

Time: 10:00-11:00

Date: March 13th, 2017

Location: Gloucester High School Lecture Hall

Details: Please enter the main building via the atrium access. You will need to ring the bell to enter and should sign in at the main office.
For more information, contact Liz Duff at [email protected].