Scholarship opportunities offered by Cell Signaling Technology

HUNTER WIECKOWSKI, Staff Writer

Cell Signalling Technology (CST) is offering four $10,000 scholarships to current juniors in the Boston North Shore area who are interested in pursuing a field in science.

This opportunity is being offered to the cities of Gloucester, Lynn, Peabody, and Salem. Each city can nominate four students who meet a specific set of requirements. These requirements being:

• That you are in 11th grade of High School
  • You are a US citizen and possess strong English skills
  • Must be attending a four year high school in one of the four cities mentioned
  • Be eligible for free or reduced lunch, or be the first in your family to go to college. (neither parent went to college)
  • A minimum of a 3.0 GPA, although 2.8 and higher may be considered if student demonstrates scientific interest through extracurricular activities.
  • By the end of senior year you must have completed an AP class in one of the following courses: biology, chemistry, physics or environmental science.
  • Must enroll as a full time student in a 2 or 4-year accredited college or university and pursue at least one major in one of the following fields: Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics, Psychology (B.S. degree)
  • A minimum if a 2.8 GPA must be kept during freshmen year of college and a 3.0 GPA the following three years.
  • Finally, before starting your final year of college you must visit either an elementary or middle school and give a science presentation on a subject of your choice as part of the community service portion of your scholarship.

The scholarship is a total of $10,000 paid in four installments over four years. $1,000 freshman year, $2,000 sophomore year, $3,000 junior year, and the remaining $4,000 senior year. CST is offering more than a sizable scholarship though. If you are selected you will given preference for a paid summer intern positions at CST in between your senior year in high school and freshman year in college.

If you think you meet the requirements for this scholarships, or know someone who does, contact your science teacher, as they need to nominate you. The deadline for nominations has been extended to January 27 so contact your teacher as soon as possible. The following link is to Cell Signalling’s website for applications and to answer any other questions you may pose.

https://www.cellsignal.com/common/content/content.jsp?id=science-scholarship