Biotechnology Academy offers unique training for locals

JENNA TAORMINA, Staff Writer, Editor

On Thursday, January 26, the Gloucester Biotechnology Academy will be holding an open house for prospective students. The Biotechnology Academy offers a nine month training course to teach students entry-level techniques in the field of biotechnology.

The program is split into three semesters. Throughout the first semester, students will work in labs extracting DNA while in the second semester, students learn to extract protein. For the last three months of the program, students will work for a local biotechnology academy with a paid internship.

“There is intensive lab immersion. They’re probably in the lab three and a half to four hours every day,” said education director, John Doyle. “There’s a lot more experience at the bench and in the lab than a typical college student gets.”

The biotechnology academy is a nonprofit organization that aims to teach students skills that will help them later in life.

“I think the academy is great,” said student Kyle Richard. “College wasn’t for me, and this gives me vocational training. I think it’s an excellent experience; I actually want to come in every morning.”

The Gloucester Biotechnology Academy is currently taking applicants for the class of 2017-2018. The program is available to Gloucester residents that have a high school degree. There is also no cost for tuition or fees for the incoming class.

“We want to be able to recruit the best possible students and not burden them with tuition and fees,” said Doyle. “We don’t want to put anyone in debt.”

Those interested in applying can visit gmgi.org, select “Biotechnology Academy”, and click apply. Students can also email John Doyle for more information.