Quick and easy after-school snacks

MARIA KOTOB, Staff Writer, Editor

When students are hungry after school, many of us sit down in front of the TV with a bowl of chips, leaving us hungry within an hour or so. But are we really getting the most out of our snacking experience? Taking a couple of minutes when you arrive home to make a more healthful and fulfilling snack is worth the extra time.  Here are some easy to make, tasty snacks for anyone who desires more than a handful of pretzels.

• Add a twist to a regular grilled cheese by adding a couple apple slices. Grill the apple slices before placing them in the sandwich, then grill the whole thing together.
  • Avocado toast, but better. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and try adding the following toppings: either an egg, bacon and feta, sliced almonds and olive oil, or tomato and basil.
  • Looking for something lighter? Sliced apples, with peanut butter and topped with almonds or granola is a small, tasty treat that will increase your afternoon energy
  • Spice up your plain yogurt by adding some honey, granola, and fresh fruits (such as strawberries).
  • You can’t say you don’t like avocado smoothies until you try this: an avocado with a cup of milk (sub: almond milk), a cup of yogurt, honey, banana, and a handful of ice cubes. It is a healthy, non messy snack and can be taken anywhere.
  • Chicken quesadillas are a lot easier than you may think and can be a great idea if there is more than one of you. Grill the chicken (optional seasonings: paprika, chili powder, ground oregano, ground cumin, and garlic powder). Lay out tortilla bread, layer with shredded cheese, chopped chicken, and a tortilla to cover the top. Bake at 350 degrees for around 8-10min. Use a knife to cut into slices.
  • For all of you avocado lovers, if you remove the pit, fill it with feta, diced tomato, and a little salt and pepper it makes it twice as good.
  • Love apple pie but don’t have the energy after school to make one? Slice some apples, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar, and either grill or bake them on a buttered pan/sheet. Optional: have a side of peanut butter to eat with.
  • Nutella toast with sliced bananas on top is my personal favorite, it’s easy and perfect for any Nutella-lover.

If you’re starving and all else fails, you can always go for cheese and crackers, it’s simple and requires no effort. A homemade, nutritious snack when you get home can increase your energy levels, and improve your brain power and overall health.