Football falls to undefeated Marblehead

Katie Nugent

Captain Jermaine Edwards (33) rushes up the field after being handed the ball by Nate Young

JENNA TAORMINA, Staff Writer, Editor

The Fishermen football tournament run came to an end last Friday after a loss to undefeated Marblehead. The Division 2A Semifinal game ended with a score of 41-26.

The Magicians picked up an early lead, scoring three touchdowns in the first half. Senior captain Christian Sanfilippo helped cut down that lead in the second quarter to put the Fishermen on the board with 6:36 to play.

Senior quarterback Nate Young also made a huge tackle on their own five yard line at the end of the second quarter to prevent the Magicians from scoring on that play. The co-captain also made an interception with 0:35 left to play in the half to regain possession. The team went into the half trailing 27-6.

Touchdown runs from Sanfilippo and sophomore Ryan Argentino in the third quarter also helped to minimize the Magician’s lead to 34-18. In the fourth quarter, Young connected with junior Oliver Emerson for a 35 yard rush to end the game with a final score of 41-26.

Last season, the Fishermen lost to Marblehead in the divisional semifinals with a score of 27-0.

While the Fisherman may be out of tournament contention, Sanfilippo continues to improve his records within the high school. He has now accumulated over 3,000 career yards, with 1,517 yards this season alone. Friday night’s game was his fifth straight 200 yard game.

The team will be back in action Friday night against Wakefield for a consolation game. The game will be held at Wakefield Memorial High School at 7pm. After this, the team will participate in their annual Thanksgiving Day game that will be held in Danvers this year.