Mayor’s Halloween party a “graveyard smash”

Katelyn Moore

Corryn Ulrich poses with Shaggy and Scooby at the Mayor’s Halloween party

KATELYN MOORE, Staff Writer, Editor

City hall was turned into scare-tastic palace on Sunday thanks to the Mayor’s community-wide Halloween party extravaganza. GHS students, the fire department, and the police department provided a fun afternoon of spooky entertainment for children of all ages.

“I decided to do it because the people in the community wanted to,” said Mayor Sefatia Romeo-Theken, who was dressed as the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella. “It’s a great community thing and a way for all to get together one more time before the snow.”

Students from JROTC and NHS were dressed as characters from children’s shows, such as Doc McStuffins, Scooby-Doo, and even Minions. Children got to take pictures with their favorite characters.

“I can see only my own tongue,” said senior NHS president Owen Brown who was dressed as Scooby-Doo.

A bouncy house was set up outside along with a police car hayride. Inside, a haunted house occupied the basement of the building while the ground floor provided activities such as bracelet making and storytelling.

On the top floor, a hula hoop contest took place followed by a dance party to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” Pizza, cookies, and Halloween candy were provided for all.

“Volunteering is really rewarding,” said senior NHS member Jonathan Denman who was dressed as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo. “I love seeing the smiles on little kids’ faces and knowing I was a part of that.”