Food drive begins this week

DYLAN VIAU, Staff Writer

For many people on the North Shore, food insecurity is an unfortunate reality. The Open Door food pantry is working with Gloucester High School to help solve this problem.

The Open Door is hosting a food drive at GHS, and is asking students for help. The food drive will be going on from now through Christmas. Students are encouraged to donate non perishable and canned goods. Students should not bring glass.

“Since 2008, we have seen a 120 percent jump in the number of requests for food assistance,” said executive director of The Open Door Julie LeFontaine.

According to LeFontaine, The Open Door helped 6,410 low and limited-income people and brought in 1,156,095 pounds of food. Last year, one and six Gloucester residents were helped by the open door.

“We try to reach 1000 items, and we have reached that goal every year since I’ve been here,” said Italian teacher Rayanne Menery, who is in charge of the school food drive at GHS.

If students are unable to bring in food items, cash donations will also be accepted. Donations can be brought to room 1213.

This year the Open Door has added holiday baskets to their donations. It is $30.00 to donate a holiday basket.  

“A new idea this year would be if a class would like to sponsor a family gift basket, the cost of the basket is $30.00, one class can make a family’s thanksgiving.  said Menery,  “One class can make a difference for an entire family.”