GHS evacuated after bomb threat

Jenna Taormina

Students wait as police, fire, and school administrators conduct a full search of the building

KATELYN MOORE, Staff Writer, Editor

Students and staff were evacuated Thursday morning after Gloucester High School received five simultaneous, automated phone calls indicating a bomb threat.

School Superintendent Dr. Richard Safier sent the following email to parents, and staff.

“Dear Parents/Guardians,

At 9:43 am this morning, Gloucester High School received five simultaneous, automated phone calls indicating a bomb threat. The high school administration immediately began the school’s emergency management protocols. The police and fire departments were notified and quickly arrived at the high school. All students and staff were evacuated from the building.  Police, fire, and school administrators conducted a full search of the building.

All concerned parties came to a collective decision to have staff and students re-enter the building. There was a controlled re-entry into the building conducted by the police and school administration. The incident is currently under investigation by the Gloucester Police Dept. with cooperation from the School Department.”