JROTC excels at Joint Services Grand Nationals

JROTC+at+the+Lincoln+Memorial+in+Washington+D.C.+

JROTC at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.

CORRYN ULRICH, Staff Writer

While most of the student body of Gloucester High School spent their April vacation hanging out with friends and relaxing, the Gloucester ROTC was competing in the first ever Olympiad tournament in Orlando.

“Normally we go to Daytona Beach to compete in a national ROTC event,” said MSgt Carcel DuBose. “This school has done that for the last 15 years. This year was the first year of the inaugural Olympiad in Orlando, Florida which is different because it’s more than marching.”

The cadets competed in Drone, Academics, Rifle Marksmanship, Physical Fitness, Color Guard and Drill

They finished as Grand National Runner-up Mixed Team Division (3 girls / 3 boys) YPFT, (youth Physical Fitness Test) Senior John Vega won the Individual Silver medal and Freshman Evan Sawyer took the Bronze

Grand National Runner-up Division 1 Unarmed Regulation Drill

Grand National Runner-up Division 2 Unarmed Regulation Drill

4th Place Unarmed Personnel Inspection

4th Place Division 1 – Female Color Guard

4th Place Male Color Guard

4th Place Rifle Marksmanship (Team#1)

6th Place Rifle Marksmanship (Team #2 )

4th Place Unarmed Exhibition Drill (Division 2)

Division 2 Overall 3rd Place

“It was really hard,” said John Vega. “It was long hard and motivating, it helped me prepare for the Marine Corps.”

“It motivated you,” said sophomore Aurora Billante. “We had actual Navy and and Marine coaches with us who motivated us throughout it and it felt good to get runner up out of I don’t know how many schools were in it but it was second.”

The students also got to visit visited the National Museum of the Marine Corps as well as our nation’s capital.