Power of play festival this weekend at GHS

CORRYN ULRICH, Staff Writer

The importance of play for children is often underestimated, which is why the Gloucester Education Foundation is introducing the first ever Power of Play Festival this Sunday, March 20th in the Gloucester High School Field House, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

“It will feature a number of stations,” said GEF executive director Christina Raimo. “There will be a building station where they can make an art project out of recyclables, there will be some fitness activities, and there will be an area where people can go play old fashioned board games. It’s going to bring the community together”

Organizers say play time has been linked to improvements in cognitive and social developments, such as improvements in problem solving. Children, as well as teenagers and adults, are often deprived of essential play time.

“Play can teach children how to strive for a goal,” said Raimo. “It teaches them how to think about getting to the goal. It really stretches the creativity in a lot of ways. It shows kids that to achieve something, you have to to collaborate with other people.”

The event is sponsored by the Cape Ann Savings Bank and Cape Ann Trust Department. The event is open to all Gloucester students and families. Families of all ages are encouraged to attend.

IF YOU GO

What: Power of Play Festival
When: Sunday March 20th 11:00a.m. – 3:00p.m.
Where: The Field House Gloucester High School
Cost: $5.00 per family