Art, music, tats and treats at Art Club open-mic

Sarah Burnham

Alannah Allen gives henna tattoos at last weeks Art Club open-mic

GIANNA CABRAL, Staff Writer

Where can you get tattooed, enjoy good music, buy great art, and eat a cookie at the same time?

Gloucester High School’s Art Club hosted a successful open-mic event last week, and is already planning the next one for sometime in May.

Student artists and musicians gathered in the cafeteria to present their talents and auction their work. There was something for every taste in music, with student performances ranging from Nirvana to the Scooby-Doo theme song.

“I think the open mic went really well. We definitely raised a lot of money for the Art Club,” said audience member Kayla Saltonstall. “I thought it was really fun to see everyone express their talents. My favorite part was everyone getting together to enjoy music and food. It was a good experience overall.”

Throughout the night, audience members were able to bid on art pieces in a silent auction and eat baked goods. Art Club members also drew henna tattoos on those who wanted one.

We have many talented students in the club that like to sing, act, and do poetry- so we thought it would be a great way to celebrate and promote the arts,” said Art Club adviser Lorrinda Cerrutti.

“Art club is a blast. It’s a lot more relaxed than other clubs, but we are working towards big things,” said member Jessalyn Silvera. “We are definitely interested in doing another open mic at some point.”

To start the show, Mr. Perrault did a rendition of the South Korean song “Gangnam Style” in English. Silvera went on next, and sang “You & I” by Ingrid Nelson while playing ukulele. Joshua Skalski sang “It Takes Two” from the play Into The Woods.

Alexandra Grace and Joshua Cominelli performed “Cherry Wine” by Hozier and did an encore of “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone. Aidan Muise performed “Smells Like Team Spirit” by Nirvana, which was accompanied by Aaron Cunha on guitar.

Ms. Mochowski made a surprise appearance and performed a variety of short songs, as well as reading “Green Eggs And Ham,” saying funny pick up lines, and the chorus of “All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor.

Carrington Davis performed an a capella version of “I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys and Elizabeth Silvera, and Danielle Bauke performed the Scooby Doo theme song. The final performance of the night was Sara Corchado rapping “The Mathlete Rap” from the movie Mean Girls.

“Our profit from the open mic was around $165,” said Cerrutti. “We typically use the money to buy art materials for the club and for any of the art classes that are short on specific materials.”

“Our club wanted to go to New York City again this year, as we did last spring. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to raise as much money this year as we did last year. We are hoping to work towards a New York City trip for next year by starting to save money now.”

If you want to join Art Club, see Mrs. Cerrutti in room 3111 on Tuesdays after school.