Boys’ soccer clinches tournament spot

Armando Marnoto

The GHS boys’ soccer team poses for a photo during the preseason

JENNA TAORMINA, Staff Writer, Editor

From being the underdogs in the Northeast conference last year to making the tournament this year, Gloucester High School boys’ soccer is looking to finish off their season with a conference win.

The boy’s soccer team ended their regular season with a record of 7-7-2, giving them a total of sixteen points, exactly enough to make the tournament. Wins give teams two points, ties give one point, and losses give zero points.

“It was pretty much one win, one loss so we were .500 most of the time,” said senior captain Treigh Worell-Shannon. “We had about five consistent players and then others that really stepped up.”

The team made the tournament during their last game against Salem. The game ended with a score of 1-1, giving them the last point they needed to qualify.

The boys’ soccer team also made the tournament in 2013, though they lost to Concord Carlisle in the first round. The game ended with a score of 2-1. Last year, they were unable to qualify for the tournament and they finished with a record of 2-11-0.

“It’s awesome,” said Worell-Shannon. “I’m pumped we made it and that it isn’t over.”

The team will not find out who they are playing in the tournament until Monday. The next upcoming event for the team is a scrimmage against Manchester-Essex on Monday at GHS.