DECA riders hit the road

Lizzy Ciaramitaro

DECA Bike Team (from left) Chloe Flavin, Jared Marshall, Ann Grassetti, Alex MacDonald, Chad Gerstner, and Nick Griffin

EVEREST CRAWFORD, Contributor

If you were asked to imagine the best way to experience Cape Ann in the morning how would you answer?

The Gloucester High DECA program believes they have found just the thing.  Starting with a well attended Wednesday morning rendezvous,  the DECA Bike Team has kicked off an expanding campaign of enjoyable bike riding, and promotion of better environmental consciousness.

Spearheaded by business teacher and DECA  adviser Ann Grassetti, the DECA Bike Team aims to encourage larger participation and begin a weekly charity ride.

Just a few weeks into the young program the DECA Bikers have already spent some early mornings riding to local coffee shops and enjoying the morning atmosphere.

“I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of students who actually showed up and how much they enjoyed it,” said Grassetti.

The DECA program plans to expand the new program by introducing DECA Bike Team T-shirts and beginning the Wednesday morning charity sponsored rides.

“We are just a bunch of DECA kids who love the thrill of the bike,” said senior GHS track star Jared Marshall.  Marshall’s enthusiasm for the Bike Club led him to create a blog to document their rides to attract new riders.

The blog can be found at decabikers.blogspot.com. Their blog is simple to navigate, and announces planned rides.

The group is planning future rides both for enjoyment and charity and would love more involvement from the GHS student body.

Grassetti says she has been pleased so far with their results and is “looking forward to keeping the rides going.” So keep an eye out for the DECA Riders.